The following will provide insights and hopefully answer common surety bond questions.
See our “What is a Surety Bond” Video.
See our “How does the Surety Bond Process Work” Video
What is a surety bond?
Usually the first time anyone has even heard of a surety bond is when they are asked to provide one. As part of licensing a business or a construction project, a bond may be required. In its most simplistic of explanations, a surety bond is somewhat like a professional co-signer. The surety company basically promises the agency requiring the bond that you will follow the rules. Read more about the basics of surety bonds.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A SURETY BOND
How much will my bond cost?
Our goal is to find you the lowest price for the type of surety bond you need and as quickly as possible. Representing over a dozen surety markets, we will shop around to find the best solution for you at the lowest possible price. There are bonds that only require a short application process and the rate is typically between one and three percent. Other bonds require a credit history check and the cost varies depending on the underwriting considerations.
How long will it take to get approved / What is the process?
Our goal is to expedite your application and get you your bond as quickly as possible. The Surety1 process is a simple one and we are available to assist you at any time:
- First, submit an application using our easy online application system.
- You will receive a quote and the underwriting conditions (if any) within two business days. With most bonds, you will hear from Surety1 within a few hours.
- You provide payment for your bond. We accept all major credit cards. Depending on the bond type, there may be some additional paperwork required as well.
- We mail you your bond ASAP. You have a choice of regular or expedited delivery, both of which will have tracking numbers.
Depending on the type of bond you need, it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to two business days in order to obtain a firm quote, but we will do our best to provide you with the fastest service possible.
Why do I need to submit an application in order to get a quote?
First, there are thousands of different surety bond types and amounts which vary in premium (the cost to obtain the bond), so we need this information to start. Many of these bonds also require personal information, such as a soft credit check in order to accurately determine the premium for your bond. With the information provided on your application, our licensed agents check with several surety markets to see where we can get you the lowest premium quote. We also use the information on the application to write the bond, so please be sure all of the information is accurate.
The application generally only takes 5 – 10 minutes to complete and you can be assured a quote within two business days, though with most bonds you will receive your quote within a few hours.
What if I have challenged credit?
Many surety bonds are “instant issue” meaning no credit report will be reviewed. Of those that do require a credit check and your credit has some challenges, we can work with you to get you the surety bond you need so you can continue to build equity in your business. Surety1 works with many secondary surety markets to get you the best possible quote. Read more about bad credit surety bonds.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR A SURETY BOND
Common Surety Bond Questions
- I lost my bond. How can I get another one? If the original bond, with signatures and seals, needs to be mailed out again, a duplicate original fee of $40 is required. The bond is mailed out priority mail (1-3 business days or less). If you would like it the next business day it is $60. Please submit payment here if you need a duplicate bond.
- I need to update information on my bond. What do I need to do? (Examples: update address, update company name, extend the expiration date, etc.) If you need to make any changes on the bond and the obligee is requiring you to update information on the bond, please submit a rider request.
- How long will it take to process my changes needed on the bond? Riders are typically processed within 1-3 business days, usually less. Please note that there is a $40 rider fee in order for us to file the changes with the surety company, make the changes on the bond, and mail the updated paperwork to you. This also includes priority shipping. When your rider is complete you will receive it within 1-3 business days or less. If you would like it expedited with overnight shipping, the rider fee is $60. If you have a rider request that is premium bearing, such as a bond amount increase or extending your expiration date, we will quote the additional premium due and get permission from you before the card is charged.
- How do I get my bond renewed? You will get multiple reminders that will include instructions on how to pay for your renewal. Read more about bond renewals here.
Surety Bond Questions – What is a performance bond?
Performance bonds are required for many construction-related projects. A performance bond is issued by a surety company and guarantees the client that if the contractor fails to complete the project in accordance with the terms of the construction agreement, the surety company will either complete the contract itself, or arrange for a contractor to complete the contract. Learn more about performance and payment bonds.
How do I get my business bonded and insured?
How to Get Bonded and Insured – This guide walks you through the process of getting a business bonded and insured and answer some surety bond questions for you.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners, one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Since 2003, Surety1 is the premier, online provider of surety bonds nationwide.
Learn More about Surety1.com.