The New York City Collection Agency Bond is a type of surety bond required by the Department of Consumer and Worker Protection. There is no New York state bond requirement. Businesses whose principal purpose is to regularly collect or to attempt to collect personal or household debts from New York City residents must have a Debt Collection Agency license no matter where the agency is located, including outside of New York State. This licensing requirement includes:
- Attorneys and law firms who regularly engage in activities traditionally performed by debt collectors
- “Debt buyers,” businesses that buy debt and then try to collect money directly or through the services of another
- Required by: New York City Department of Consumer Affairs
- Surety Bond Amount: $5,000
- This bond guarantees that the principle (Licensee) will abide by all New York local and state laws.
If the bond is to be cancelled, the obligee must be notified of the cancellation at least 60 days before the cancellation date. The term of the bond corresponds with the license and the license renews on January 31 of odd numbered years. Licensee must provide a copy of the paid receipt for the surety bond as well as the bond from when applying for the license.
New York City Collection Agency Licensing Requirements
Surety1 is not directly involved with the licensing process, but we’ve compiled this information which may helpful for you.
DCWP will deny your application if you do not submit these required documents and information:
- Basic License Application.
Online submission: After reviewing the requirements, please click the Apply Online link at the bottom of the page to submit your application.
In-person submission: Download the Basic License Application.
- Sales Tax Identification Number OR Application Confirmation Number.
To apply for a Certificate of Authority in order to collect sales tax, visit businessexpress.ny.gov.
- Debt Collection Agency – Licensing & Renewal Supplement (download)
You must complete and affirm the information provided on this form.
- Debt Collection/Child Support Form (download)
You must complete the Debt Collection/Child Support Form to indicate whether your business will collect child support payment debts within New York City. If your business will collect child support payment debts, you must submit the following documents:
- Copy of the disclosure form used by the Debt Collection Agency in New York City.
This form has all of the disclosure terms required under New York City Administrative Code § 20-494.1 (e).
- Copy of the standard contract for child support payment debt collection services used by the Debt Collection Agency in New York City.
This form has all of the contract terms required under New York City Administrative Code § 20-492 (c).
- New York City Collection Agency Bond
The copy of the bond must name the City of New York as the Certificate Holder. Your corporate name, Doing-Business-As (DBA) name (if any), and premises address must be exactly the same on all documents. You must also submit a copy of the bond receipt showing that the bond has been paid in full and does not expire before the end of the licensing period.
- Debt Collection Agency Non-Resident Form (download)
If your business is NOT located within New York City, you must complete and submit the attached Debt Collection Agency Non-Resident form.
- Granting Authority to Act Affirmation, if applicable (download Affirmation).
Required if someone other than the license applicant will prepare and submit this application. Note: The applicant must sign the license application and all related forms.
How do I get a New York City Collection Agency Bond?
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain the surety bonds you need. Our simple process is:
- Complete our easy to use and secure online application
- Review your free, no obligation quote from one of our professional surety bond agents, usually within 1 business day.
- Then make payment (all major credit cards accepted) and sign some paperwork.
Once these steps have been completed, the New York City Collection Agency Bond will be shipped.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003 and maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and is licensed in all 50 states.
For a list of states that require collection agency bonds, visit our collection agency guide page.