Click Here for a Free, No Obligation Quote

There are 5 different California Cannabis Licenses for the legal cannabis industry. Each license requires California Cannabis Bonds. The bonds are a type of surety bond. The individual bond types are:

  • Cultivator – (Self Explanatory)
  • Micro-Business – The Micro-Business license allows a licensee to engage in cultivation (on an area less than 10,000 square feet), manufacturing (Level 1 manufacturing, Type 6), distribution, and retail sale, or anyCalifornia Cannabis Bonds combination of the four activities.
  • Distributor – Is responsible for transporting cannabis goods, arranging for testing of cannabis goods, and conducting quality assurance review of cannabis goods to ensure they comply with all packaging and labeling requirements.
  • Retailer –  Sells cannabis goods to customers at its premises or by delivery. A retailer must have a licensed physical location (premises) where commercial cannabis activities are conducted.
  • Testing Lab – A laboratory, facility, or entity in the state that offers or performs tests of cannabis goods.
    Testing laboratories must obtain and maintain ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation.

How to get California Cannabis Bonds

We make it simple:

  1. Complete our easy to use and secure, online application. 
  2. Review your free, no obligation quote from one of our professional surety bond agents, usually within the same day.
  3. Sign some paperwork and make payment and get your bond.

Once these steps have been completed, the California Cannabis Bonds will be shipped to the bond applicant. The cost of the bond is usually subject to the minimum premium and fees of $150 to$250. Surety1 will shop its many markets to procure the right price at the right terms.
1 -The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license. is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003. Located in the Sacramento area, Surety1 is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau and has been writing California Surety Bonds since 2003.

The California Bureau of Cannabis Control is the lead agency for all licensed cannabis activity, but they have delegated the responsibility for cultivators and manufacturers licenses to the CalCannabis division of the California Department of Food & Agriculture and the California Dept of Public Health, Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, respectively. California Cannabis  manufacturers licensing are managed by the California Dept of Public Health, Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch. 

Regardless of the type of license, the amount required by the state for California Cannabis Bonds is fixed at $5,000. Local municipalities may require separate bonding requirements in addition to the California Cannabis Bonds. California state law requires that all commercial cannabis businesses hold a state license in order to operate in the commercial market. As a licensee, you must follow all applicable state law and local ordinances. These ordinances will vary from location to location.

Licensees must hold an A-license to engage in adult-use commercial cannabis activity and an M-license to engage in medicinal commercial cannabis activity. Each Each premises must be licensed , however, a licensee that holds both an A-license and an M-license for the same commercial cannabis activity (e.g., retail sale) may have the same premises for both types. All licenses require separate California Cannabis Bonds. Local jurisdictions may ban, in whole or in part, medicinal and adult-use commercial cannabis activity.


Surety Bonds


How to Get Your California Cannabis Bonds

  1. Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
  2. One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
  3. Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!

If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.

How to Get Bonded

1. Apply Online
Using our Free & Secure Application
2. Get Your Free Quote
Applications are No-Obligation
3. Get Your Bond
Most Bonds are Approved in 1-2 Business Days

Surety Bond Experts

Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.

0 Happy Customers
Since 2003