The American Subcontractors Association names Texas as the state with the best laws and environment for subcontractors for 2011. Texas Governor Rick Perry signed six new laws in 2011 that subcontractors in Texas have already started benefiting from. The laws are:
1. Allows subcontractors 30 days after completion to provide lien notices.
2. Established lien waiver for progress payments and final payment on construction projects.
3. Prohibits electronic reverse auctions on public projects that require surety bonds.
4. Bans broad from indemnification clauses in private and public construction contracts.
5. Requires payment and performance bonds comply with the Little Miller Act be provided on projects funded by public-private partnerships.
6. Requires three years of completed operations coverage on CIPs to protect the construction team from third-party claims for bodily injury.
All of these laws help subcontractors to operate more smoothly in Texas as they have more rights to ensure they do not get the short end of the stick w