The State of California requires any person who acts as an immigration consultant to be licensed with the State. As part of that licensing, the applicant must provide a $50,000.00 Immigration Consultant Surety Bond. there are however, many other steps to comply with the law.
- A Background Check – A person must satisfactorily pass a background check conducted by the Secretary of State as part of the application process to register as an immigration consultant. To assist in determining if an applicant qualifies, the applicant is legally required to be fingerprinted.
- Complete a Immigration Consultant Disclosure – This form is provided by the State. Access the form by HERE.
- Copy of a valid and current photo identification. Acceptable forms of photo identification are:
- An identification card or driver’s license issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- A passport issued by the Department of State of the United States.
- An identification card issued by a state other than California.
- A driver’s license issued by a state other then California.
- An identification card issued by any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
- 2″ x 2″ Passport Photo
The filing fee to become a licensed immigration consultant is $30.00. The cost of the Surety Bond is $900.00 for a two year term.