Date Published: September 29, 2023

To replace a lost stock certificate, you will need to contact the company’s stock transfer agent. The stock transfer agent is a company that maintains the records of shareholders for a publicly traded company. If you are not sure who the transfer agent is, there are a few ways to find a company’s transfer agent:

  1. Check the company’s website. Most companies list their transfer agent on their website, usually under the “Investor Relations” section.
  2. Contact the company directly. If you can’t find the transfer agent on the company’s website, you can contact the company directly and ask for their contact information.
  3. Use the Securities Transfer Association (STA) website. The STA is a trade association for transfer agents. You can search their website for a company’s transfer agent by name or ticker symbol.How do I replace a Lost Stock Certificate?
  4. Contact the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). If you are still unable to find a company’s transfer agent, you can contact the SEC for assistance.

Once you have contacted the stock transfer agent, you will need to complete an affidavit of loss. This affidavit will state that you have lost the stock certificate and that you are the rightful owner of the shares represented by the certificate. You will also need to provide the stock transfer agent with the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • The name of the company whose stock certificate you have lost
  • The number of shares represented by the certificate
  • The certificate number (if you know it)

In addition to the affidavit of loss, the stock transfer agent will also require you to purchase a lost instrument bond. This indemnity bond is a type of insurance that protects the company and the transfer agent in the event that the lost certificate is later found and presented by someone else. The cost of the indemnity bond is typically a percentage of the value of the shares represented by the certificate. can usually secure this bond for much less money than the transfer agent will charge.

Once you have completed the affidavit of loss and purchased the indemnity bond (if required), the stock transfer agent will issue you a new stock certificate. The new certificate will be mailed to you or delivered to your broker, depending on your instructions.

Here are some additional tips for replacing a lost stock certificate:

  • If you have a brokerage account, you may be able to have your broker replace the lost certificate for you.
  • If you are unsure of the contact information for the stock transfer agent, you can contact the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for assistance.
  • If you later find the lost stock certificate, be sure to notify the stock transfer agent immediately.

It is important to note that the process for replacing a lost stock certificate can vary depending on the company and the transfer agent. For more information, be sure to contact the stock transfer agent directly. is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003.

grayscale photo of person inside the plant formation

How to Get Bonded

1. Apply Online
Using our Free & Secure Application
2. Get Your Free Quote
Applications are No-Obligation
3. Get Your Bond
Most Bonds are Approved in 1-2 Business Days

Surety Bond Experts

Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.

Get started with the bond application process today.

Most bonds are fully processed within 1-2 business days. In some cases, you'll hear back from Surety1 within hours!