The State of West Virginia Secretary of State requires a West Virginia Private Investigator or Security Guard Bond in the amount of $5.000. This bond is to ensure that any private investigator and/or security guard fulfills all services that have been previously paid for. In addition, they shall faithfully and honestly conduct the business for which they are licensed.
Anyone who performs investigative or security functions in West Virginia must be licensed. The surety bond is one of the licensing requirements.
Additional License Requirements
- A completed application form
- Payment for the license fee in the form of a check or money order. Please refer to the table below for the amount.
||West Virginia Resident
|Combined Pi/SG Individual
|Combined PI/SG Firm
- 2 passport sized photos
- 1 set of fingerprints
- Background check
- Character references from 5 reputable citizens who have known the applicant for at least 5 years.
- Qualifications based on employed – applicants must submit a notarized statement attesting to his competency to the time they were employed and skills acquired.
- Qualifications based on coursework – applicants must submit their transcripts of degree.
How do I obtain a West Virginia Private Detective or Security Guard Bond?
Complete our easy to navigate online application. Next, one of our licensed agents will contact you with a no-obligation quote for your bond (the “premium”). Once any necessary paperwork is signed and the premium payment is processed, your surety bond will be shipped to you via USPS Priority Mail (overnight shipping options also available).
The surety bond experts at Surety1 are here to help you get bonded quickly and reliably. We work with over a dozen “A” rated surety markets to ensure we find you the lowest rate for your bond. We are also licensed in all 50 states and maintain an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.