Motor vehicle dealers are required to post a Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond as part of the process to license the dealership. The amount of the bond depends on what type of vehicles are to be sold, the amount of vehicles you plan to sell, and other factors. Read our Car Dealer License Guide to learn more about how to get your dealership licensed and bonded.
- Required by: Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles
- Minimum Bond Amount: $20,000
- Maximum Bond Amount: $35,000
- Valid: Renewable
The price for the bond, also known as the bond premium, is only a small fraction of the bond amount.
The specific bond amount is determined by the amount of vehicles sold annually:
- 25 or less vehicles- $20,000
- 25-100 vehicles- $25,000
- 101-250 vehicles- $30,000
- 251 + vehicles- $35,000
This bond guarantees the principal will abide by all Vermont state laws and regulations along with the rules outlined in 23 V.S.A. Chapters 7 and 21 as well as 32 V.S.A. Chapter 219 of the Vermont Statutes Annotated.
The applicant should verify the bond amount with the obligee before applying for the bond to ensure the bond amount is correct.
Surety1 is not directly involved with the licensing process, but we’ve compiled this information which may helpful for you.
State licensing fees and requirements:
- Surety bond
- License application
- Supporting application documents
- Proof of sales tax
- Credit report
- Background check
- $503 license fee
All licensing fees are required by the obligee, not the surety company.
For more licensing information, visit Vermont’s official page.
How to Get Your Vermont Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.