The South Carolina Residential Specialty Contractor Bond is required by the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission.
In the State of South Carolina, a “residential specialty contractor” is an independent contractor who contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvement, or reimprovement that involves the use of specialized construction trades or craft. These specialized crafts include:
- Heating and air conditioning installers and repairers
- Vinyl and aluminum siding installers
- Insulation installers
- Floor covering installers
- Dry wall installers
- Stucco installers
- Painters/wall paperers
The licensing requirements include filing a surety bond with the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission. The South Carolina Residential Specialty Contractor Bond ensures that the licensee will comply with all rules and regulations pertaining to the South Carolina Residential Code and Health and Safety requirements, as stated in Section 40-59-220 or 40-59-410(B)(2) of the South Carolina Code of Laws.
The required bond amount depends on the type of work being performed by the licensee:
- Licensed Residential Specialty Contractor (HVAC, plumber, or electrician) require a $10,000 bond.
- Registered Residential Specialty Contractors require a $5,000 bond.
The South Carolina Residential Specialty Contractor Bond is in full force and effect for the license term unless renewed by a continuation certificate. The Surety may cancel the bond at any time with 30 days written notice to the South Carolina Residential Builders Commission prior to the cancellation date.
For additional licensing information, visit the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation website HERE.
CLICK HERE to apply for your South Carolina Residential Specialty Contractor Bond today!
How to Get Your South Carolina Residential Specialty Contractor Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.