The South Carolina Private Investigation Bond is required by the General Assembly of South Carolina for all those who wish to establish a private investigation business in the state. The bond states that the bondholder will follow the provisions of Act No. 372, Acts of 2000, Gen. Assembly of South Carolina, Expecting the provisions of 40-18-70(B), relating to individuals.
Aside from the $10,000 surety bond, the following must also be submitted to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.
- A non-refundable $350.00 annual license fee paid via cashier’s check, money order, or company check made payable to SLED.
- A completed, signed, and notarized application.
- Two (2) complete sets of fingerprint cards.
- A recent digital photograph
- A completed, signed, and notarized Judgment Statement Affidavit.
- A completed, signed, and notarized Form PD/PS-9.
- A completed Disclosure of Principal(s) form.
- Applicants must submit a sample contract for approval in accordance with S.C. Code Ann. 40-18-70(F).
- In order to qualify as a private investigation business licensee, the applicant must have three years’ experience:
- As a private investigator employed by a licensed private investigation agency;
- As an investigator for a law firm, a government agency, a private corporation, a nonprofit organization, or in a capacity that SLED determines has provided the requisite investigative experience; or
- As a sworn officer with a federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.
Where do I get a South Carolina Private Investigation Bond?
Complete our easy to navigate online application. Within one business day, one of our licensed agents will contact you with a no-obligation quote for your bond (the “premium”). Once any necessary paperwork is signed and the premium payment is processed, your surety bond will be shipped to you via USPS Priority Mail (overnight shipping options also available).
The surety bond experts at Surety1 are here to help you get bonded quickly and reliably. We work with over a dozen “A” rated surety markets to ensure we find you the lowest rate for your bond. We are also licensed in all 50 states and maintain an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.