APPLY for a North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond
The North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond is a type of surety bond, required by the North Carolina Office of the Commissioner of Banks. The application and administration of the license is processed by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS). The North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond ensures that the bond holder will follow all rules and regulations under Article 19B of Chapter 53 of the North Carolina General Statutes of the Mortgage Licensing Act. According to the state, a mortgage broker is defined as:
Any person (individual, partnership, limited liability company, limited partnership, corporation, association, or other group engaged in joint business activities, however organized), unless exempt, who acts as a mortgage broker for compensation or gain, or in the expectation of
compensation or gain, either directly or indirectly, by accepting or offering to accept an application for a mortgage loan, soliciting or offering to solicit a mortgage loan, negotiating the terms or conditions of a mortgage loan, issuing mortgage loan commitments or interest rate guarantee agreements to borrowers, or engaging in table funding of mortgage loans, whether such acts are done through contact by telephone, electronic means, mail, or in person, with borrowers or prospective borrowers
The minimum required bond amount is $75,000.a The price for the bond also known as the bond premium is only a small fraction of the bond amount.
(a) Note: Subsequent increased bond amounts are based upon the licensee’s annual North Carolina loan volume. Any increased surety bond required under N.C. General Statute § 53-244.103(b) shall be filed on or before May 31 immediately following the 12-month period ending December 31.
Activities Authorized Under This License
- First mortgage brokering
- Second mortgage brokering
- High cost home loans – Broker
- Home equity lines of credit – Broker
- Manufactured housing financing – Broker
- Third party mortgage loan processing
- Third party mortgage loan underwriting
- Lead generation
Licensing Fees and Requirements:
- Liquidity: Minimum of $10,000 upon licensure and thereafter, on a continual basis.
- Net Worth: Minimum $25,000 upon licensure and thereafter, on a continual basis.
- North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond: Electronic surety bond minimum $75,000.
- Experience: Qualifying Individual shall have at least three years of experience in residential mortgage lending.
- Licensed Loan Originator: At least one licensed mortgage loan originator is required to have a sponsorship requested with the mortgage broker applicant for receiving approval of the license.
- Location: Upon licensure and thereafter, the principal office shall not be in a home or residence (see N.C. General Statute § 53-244.030 (26)).
- License Cost: $1,250.00 plus the NMLS processing fee, credit report and criminal background check fees. Fees are non-refundable.
All licensing fees are required by the obligee, not the surety company.
How to Obtain a North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain all your surety bond needs and our team of surety bond professional agents is available to assist you with the bonding process. To obtain the bond simply:
- Complete our easy to navigate and secure online application.1
- Review your free, no obligation quote, usually within 1 business day, from on of our professional surety bond agents.2
- Sign some paperwork and make payment (all major credit cards accepted).
Once these 3 steps have been completed, the North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond will be filed electronically with the NMLS.
1- The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
2- Occasionally the surety bond underwriters may require additional financial disclosures prior to providing a quote. This is more common when the surety bond amount exceeds $100,000.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003. We also maintain an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
CLICK HERE for additional licensing information from the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks.
Click Here to Visit our State by State Guide to Mortgage Industry Bonds
How to Get Your North Carolina Mortgage Broker Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.