Until relatively recently, when you purchased shares in a publicly traded company, you received a piece of paper to certify your ownership percentage. Stock certificates were the only way you could prove that you owned shares in a company. But what happens if that piece of paper is lost? If you lose your stock certificate, don’t worry you still own your shares even without the paper certificate. One requirement to have the stock certificate replaced will be a North Carolina Lost Stock certificate bond. The bond is a type of surety bond and may be referred to as a lost instrument bond. Follow the steps below to get your certificate replaced.
How to Replace a Lost Stock Certificate in North Carolina
1. Notify the Transfer Agent
First, you must notify the transfer agent of the loss. The transfer agent will place a “stop transfer” on the certificate. This is to prevent others from cashing it in. The transfer agent or the broker-dealer will then notify the SEC of the lost or missing certificates. The transfer agent often has a facility in place to provide the required surety bond. YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO PURCHASE THE BOND FROM THIS FACILITY. You can usually save money by buying the surety bond from Surety1.com.
2. Obtain Lost Instrument Bond
At surety1.com, we make it easy to obtain your North Carolina Lost Stock Certificate Bond:
- Complete our easy to navigate and secure Lost Instrument Bond Application.1
- Review your free, no obligation quote from one of our professional surety bond agents
- Sign some paperwork and make payment (all major credit cards accepted).
Once these steps have been completed, your surety bond will be sent to you via traceable mail for your original signature. The bond is then sent to the transfer company and your stock certificates will be replaced.
(1) When you notify the transfer agent of the lost stock certificate, they will provide you with a letter indicating the stop transfer has been issued, be sure to provide this letter with the application.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003 and maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
For more information, see our Lost Stock Certificate page.
How to Get Your North Carolina Lost Stock Certificate Surety Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.