To obtain a money transmitter license, each licensee must post a New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond, or Foreign Money Transmitter Bond. Every state requires a surety bond for money transmitters. Depending on your state, this license may be called money remitter, money services business, check casher, or sales of check license.

“Money Transmitter” means a person who engages in this State in the Business of:

  1. The sale or issuance of payment instruments for a fee, commission or other benefit;New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond
  2. The receipt of money for transmission or transmitting money within the United States or to locations abroad by any and all means, or
  3. The receipt of money for debtors for the purpose of paying debtors’ bill, invoices or accounts for a fee, commission or other benefit paid by the debtor.

“Foreign Money Transmitter” means a person who engages, in this State, only in the business of the receipt of money for transmission or transmitting money to location outside of the United State by any and all means including but not limited to payment instrument, wire, facsimile, electronic transfer, or otherwise for a fee, commission or other benefit.

The amount of a money transmitter bond in New Jersey is determined by the applicant’s annual volume of business. The bond amount ranges from $100,000 to $1,000,000 for money transmitters operating in the state, and from $25,000 to $100,000 for foreign money transmitters.

In order to get your money transmitter’s business license, you’ll need a bond.

This bond ensures money transmitters will conduct business in compliance with Section 17:15 1C of the New Jersey Statues Annotated, the Money Transmitters Act, along with other applicable New Jersey state laws.

A surety bond is made to protect the public. In basic terms, it guarantees your business will adhere to all laws and requirements in your industry. In the event your business conducts unlawful acts, a consumer of your services may file a claim on the bond. The bond does not offer protection to the licensee, it is not insurance.  Nearly any company that offers payment services requires a money transmitter bond. Due to a history of fraudulence and inaccurate money transmissions, state agencies now require this bond to protect consumers. While this bond does not protect the business owner, it offers proof that your business handles clients’ money responsibly.

How to Get a New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond

At we make it easy to apply for this, and all you surety bond needs:

  1. Simply complete our easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
  2. Review your free, no obligation quote, usually within one business day, from one of our surety bond professional agents.
  3. Sign some paperwork and make payment

Once these steps have been completed, the New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond will be shipped for the required original signature. Once signed, the original New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond must be sent to:

PO Box 473
Trenton, NJ 08625 is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003. We also maintain an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Money Transmitter License

These are additional details about the licensing process that you should be aware of. (Only the bond is handled at Surety1, but this information will help you get your license.)

Licensing Requirements:

  1. Application provided by the Department
  2. Company check or money order
  3. New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond
  4. Non-refundable $700 licensing fee
  5. Copy of financial statement
  6. Audited financial statements from the most recent year
  7. $50,000 net worth of a foreign money transmitter or $100,000 of a domestic money transmitter
  8. SEC filings
  9. Business activities and history of business operation
  10. Fingerprinting

All licensing fees are required by the obligee, not the surety company.

Money transmitters in New Jersey must also register as a money services business (MSB) with the Federal Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN). The registration process must be completed by the Bank Secretary Act (BSA) e-filing system.

Learn more at the State of New Jersey Department of Banking & Insurance.


All states have a surety bond requirement for money transmitters. Visit our State-by-State Guide to Money Transmitter Bonds.

New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond


How to Get Your New Jersey Money Transmitter Bond

  1. Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
  2. One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
  3. Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!

If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.

How to Get Bonded

1. Apply Online
Using our Free & Secure Application
2. Get Your Free Quote
Applications are No-Obligation
3. Get Your Bond
Most Bonds are Approved in 1-2 Business Days

Surety Bond Experts

Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.

0 Happy Customers
Since 2003