A New Jersey Electrical Contractor Bond is a type of surety bond that is required by the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors in order to obtain an electrical contractor license. The bond is in the amount of $1,000 and is intended to protect consumers from financial losses in the event that the electrical contractor fails to perform their duties in accordance with the law. A New Jersey Electrical Contractor Bond is required for all individuals or businesses who wish to obtain an electrical contractor license in the state of New Jersey.
How to get a New Jersey Electrical Contractor Bond
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain this surety bond. Our simple, three step process is:
- Complete the easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
- Review the free, no obligation quote from one of Surety1’s professional surety bond agents, usually within one business day.
- Sign some paperwork and pay the bond premium
Once these steps have been completed, the New Jersey Electrical Contractor Bond will be shipped to the bond applicant. The cost of the bond is usually the minimum of $150. Multi year discount may be available.
1 -The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003.
How to get a Electrical Contractor License in New Jersey
To be eligible for a New Jersey Electrical Contractor license, you must:
- be at least 21 years of age,
- a high school graduate or equivalent,
- have at least five years of experience working in the electrical field.
- You must also pass a three-part examination administered by the New Jersey Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors.
- Complete an application. You can apply for a New Jersey Electrical Contractor license online or by mail. The application fee is $200.
Submit your application and supporting documentation. Along with your application, you must submit the following documentation:
- Proof of age (birth certificate or passport)
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Proof of experience (employment verification letters or W-2 forms)
- Application fee
- Three passport-sized photographs
- Pass the examination. The examination is a three-part test that covers electrical theory, code compliance, and business and law. You must pass all three parts of the exam to obtain a license.
- Obtain a New Jersey Electrical Contractor Bond. The bond amount is $1,000.
- Obtain a business license. You must obtain a business license from the municipality in which you will be operating your business.
Once you have completed all of these steps, you will be issued a New Jersey Electrical Contractor license. Your license will be valid for two years and must be renewed at the end of that term.