The New Castle County, Delaware Contractor’s License Surety Bond is required in order to obtain a contractor’s license in this county.
What type of Contractor’s License do I need?
New Castle County requires a Contractor License for all contractors providing construction and building improvement services in unincorporated New Castle County. Please note there are two main license types: Permit endorsed licenses and Non-Permit endorsed licenses.
Non-Permit endorsed licenses are required when the construction activity does not require a permit from New Castle County jurisdiction or fall under HVACR and plumbing work.
Permit endorsed licenses are required for residential and non-residential building and utility work. There are several license types that fall under these categories.
- Building Contractor License Types:
- Class U – perform work on projects with unlimited valuation.
- Class A – perform work on projects that have a $200,000 maximum value per job.
- Class B – perform work on projects that have a $100,000 maximum value per job.
- Class C – perform work on projects that have a $50,000 maximum value per job.
- Utility Contractor License Types:
- Mechanical/HVACR – license categories must match the License Holder’s State HVACR license, including defined restrictions.
- Plumbing – must have a State plumber’s license of the same trade
- Decorative appliance – for contractors without a Mechanical license performing work in the area of decorative appliance installation and repair
- Sanitary Sewer – for contractors without a Plumber license performing work in the area of sewer and drain cleaning
- Outside Utility Connector – for contractors without a Plumber installing building sewers to building drains or water service pipes to water distribution systems
How do I obtain a Delaware Contractor’s License in New Castle County?
Prior to applying for a contractor’s license in New Castle County, be sure you have obtained a valid Delaware Division of Revenue business license in the category of Contractor Resident or Non-Resident.
To apply for a Non-Permit Endorsement Contractor’s License simply submit the required application
To apply for a Permit Endorsement Contractor’s License you must submit the following in person to the New Castle County Department of Land Use License Processing:
- A completed Building Contractor License Application or Utility Contractor License Application depending on which license you are looking to get.
- A copy of your State of Delaware Business License from the Delaware Division of Revenue
- A valid Certificate of Liability Insurance
- An Authorized Agent Identification Form (optional)
- Contractors permitting new homes must submit a New Home Warranty (you must provide the current enrollment letter from a NCC approved warranty company)
- HVACR and Plumbing Contractors must submit a copy of their current DE Division of Professional Regulation wall size trade license
- Decorative Appliance Contractors must present proof of certification in the area of gas burning hearth systems and/or solid fuel burning hearth systems. NCC provides for both gas and/or solid fuel trades based on your certifications.
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner Contractors must submit an equipment approval letter for the NCC Department of Special Services.
- Outside Utility Contractors must submit a Qualification Letter from NCC Special Services.
- Proof of obtaining and adopting the NCC Building Code Book
- Submit any applicable fees (fees are listed in the specific application documents)
- A New Castle County, Delaware Contractor’s License Surety Bond (also called the Statutory Compliance Bond).The amount of the bond will be specific to your license type (see below)
What is the amount of my New Castle County, Delaware Contractor’s License Surety Bond?
The amount of bond coverage will vary based on license type. See the below list to determine your bond amount:
- Class U Building Contractor $200,000
- Master HVACR Contractor $25,000
- Class A Building Contractor $150,000 (this selection includes any/all restricted categories)
- Class B Building Contractor $ 50,000 (under the Master HVACR contractor license)
- Class C Building Contractor $ 25,000
- Master Plumber Contractor $10,000
- Outside Utility Contractor $50,000
- Sewer and Drain Cleaner $10,000
- Decorative Appliance Contractor $10,000
Where can I get a New Castle County, Delaware Contractor’s License Surety Bond?
Simply fill out our free online application! One of our licensed agents will contact you with a no-obligation quote within one business day of your submission. Once any necessary paperwork is signed, and the premium payment is remitted, your New Castle County, Delaware Contractor’s License Surety Bond will be shipped to you via USPS Priority Mail, with overnight shipping options also available.
Surety1 has been writing bonds in Delaware since 2003, so we understand the process and the need for fast, reliable service. We work with over a dozen “A” rated surety markets to ensure we find you the lowest quote for your bond. Our quality service has earned us an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau! Licensed in all 50 states.