All professional fundraisers in Illinois need to purchase an Illinois Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond. This bond is required by the Illinois Attorney General and serves as a financial guarantee to the public that the fundraiser will comply with all applicable fundraising laws and regulations. The bond also protects donors from financial losses if the fundraiser misappropriates or mismanages funds. The bond amount is $10,000 and must be maintained for the duration of the fundraiser’s registration.
Here are some examples of professional fundraisers who need to purchase an Illinois Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond:
- Individuals or businesses that are paid to solicit donations for charitable organizations
- Individuals or businesses that manage fundraising campaigns for charitable organizations
- Individuals or businesses that hold telethons or other fundraising events
- Individuals or businesses that sell fundraising tickets or merchandise
Any person or entity that solicits donations for charitable organizations in Illinois, whether they are paid or not, is required to purchase a Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond.
Where can I get an Illinois Professional Fundraiser’s Bond?
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain this surety bond. Our simple, three step process is:
- Complete the easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
- Review the free, no obligation quote from one of Surety1’s professional surety bond agents, usually within one business day.
- Sign some paperwork and pay the bond premium
Once these steps have been completed, the Illinois Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond will be shipped to the bond applicant.
1 -The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003.
What are the requirements to be a Professional Fundraiser in Illinois?
To get a license as a professional fund raiser in Illinois, you must follow these steps:
- Complete and submit the Professional Fund Raiser Registration Statement. The statement can be downloaded from the Illinois Attorney General’s Office website.
- Pay the required registration fee of $100.
- Purchase a Illinois Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond in the amount of $10,000.
- Submit a copy of your Professional Fund Raiser’s Bond to the Attorney General’s Office.
- Provide copies of any contracts you have with charitable organizations.
Once you have submitted all of the required information and paid the required fees, the Attorney General’s Office will process your application and issue you a professional fund raiser license.
Here are some additional tips for getting a license as a professional fund raiser in Illinois:
- Make sure that you meet all of the eligibility requirements.
- Be prepared to provide all of the required documentation.
- Be patient. The application process can take several weeks.
Once you have obtained your license as a professional fund raiser in Illinois, you will be authorized to solicit donations for charitable organizations in the state. You must renew your license every two years.
If you have any questions about the licensing process, you can contact the Illinois Attorney General’s Office at 312-814-2595.