Motor vehicle dealers are required to post a Illinois Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond as part of the process to license the dealership. The amount of the bond depends on what type of vehicles are to be sold, the amount of vehicles you plan to sell, and other factors. Read our Car Dealer License Guide to learn more about how to get your dealership licensed and bonded.
Illinois Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond
- Required by: Illinois Secretary of State
- Minimum Bond Amount: $50,000
- Maximum Bond Amount: Varies
- Valid: 1 year – Expires December 31st of each year – Renewable
The price for the bond, also known as the bond premium, is only a small fraction of the bond amount. A dealer that sells more than 5 vehicles during one calendar year must be bonded. This bond ensures the principal will abide by all Illinois state laws and regulations along with all laws outlined in the Illinois Vehicle Code. The applicant should verify the bond amount with the obligee before applying for the bond to ensure the bond amount is correct.
Surety1 is not directly involved with the licensing process, but we’ve compiled this information which may helpful for you.
State licensing fees and requirements:
- Illinois Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond
- Make and model of all vehicles sold
- License application
- Supporting documents for application
- Manufacturer/Distributor names
- Statement of registration approval from Department of Revenue
- $1,000 annual certificate of authority fee
- $50 certificate of authority fee for used cars
- $100 certificate of authority fee for new cars
- Proof of insurance
All licensing fees are required by the obligee, not the surety company. According to the Illinois Automobile Dealers Association Every dealer will receive a renewal application from the Secretary of State in August. This form should be completed and returned with an accompanying check or money order before November 15 to insure that the renewal will be processed before December 31st, the date of expiration for all dealer licenses
For more licensing information, visit Illinois’ official page.
Surety Solutions Insurance Services, Inc. (surety1) has been provding Illinois Motor Vehicle Dealer Bonds since 2003. We offer an easy to use, online application, fast service and low rates.
How to Get Your Illinois Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.