The Georgia Mortgage Lender Bond is a type of surety bond required by the State of Georgia Department of Banking and Finance for any entity wishing to obtain a Georgia Mortgage Lender License. To apply for the license, visit the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS).
What are the requirements in order to get a Mortgage Lender License in Georgia?
In order to obtain a Mortgage Lender License, the following requirements must be submitted through the online Nationwide Multi-state Licensing System:
- A company application
- Separate applications for each resident/registered agent
- Contact and business information
- Disclosure statements
- A Control Person Attestation
- A credit report
- Individual background check requirements
- A $250,000 Georgia Mortgage Lender Bond issued by a surety company licensed in the state
- Note: Surety1 works with over a dozen “A” rated surety companies that are all licensed in Georgia!
- Fees: $900 registration fee, $250 investigation fee, $100 NMLS processing fee.
More information about the specific licensing requirements and processes can be found on the via NMLS.
Please note these requirements will vary slightly for Georgia Mortgage Broker Licenses. Visit our Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond page for more information!
What are the requirements of the Georgia Mortgage Lender Bond?
Under Title 7, Chapter 1 of the Georgia State Code, the Georgia Mortgage Lender Bond ensures the compliance of the licensee with the Georgia Residential Mortgage Act and protects the public from any damages caused by noncompliance.
The required bond amount is $250,000.
The price for the bond, also known as the bond premium, is only a small fraction of the bond amount. The applicant should verify the bond amount with the obligee before applying for the bond to ensure the bond amount is correct. Since the Georgia Mortgage Lender Surety Bond is required to be continuous in nature, it must be maintained at all times as a condition of licensure.
How do I apply for the bond?
At Surety1.com we make it easy to apply for a Georgia Mortgage Lender Bond. Once you apply, one of our surety bond professional agents will help you get the surety bond approved and will handle the filing of the bond with the NMLS. The process is as follows:
- Complete Surety1’s easy to navigate and secure online application.1
- One of our surety bond professional agents will contact you, usually within one business day, with a free, no obligation quote for the bond. Given the bond amount, additional underwriting information may be required by the surety. Not to worry, your agent will walk you through the process of obtaining the bond.
- If you choose to move forward after receiving your quote, we will have you sign any necessary paperwork and remit the premium payment (All major credit cards accepted).
Once these steps are completed, the bond will be filed electronically with the NMLS.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003. Our quality and reliable service has earned us an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
Click here to visit our state-by-state guide to mortgage industry bonds