The Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond is a type of surety bond required by the State of Georgia Department of Banking and Finance for any entity wishing to obtain a Georgia Mortgage Broker/Processor License. The application to be licensed is processed through the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) and the surety bond is filed electronically with the NMLS. Per the state definition:
“Mortgage Broker” is any person (individual, sole proprietorship, corporation, limited liability company, partnership, trust, or any other group of individuals, however organized), unless otherwise exempt, who directly or indirectly solicits, processes, places, or negotiates mortgage loans for others, or offers to solicit, process, place, or negotiate mortgage loans for others or who closes mortgage loans which may be in the mortgage broker’s own name with funds provided by others and which loans are assigned within 24 hours of the funding of the loans to the mortgage lenders providing the funding of such loans in Georgia.
If a mortgage brokers utilizing Warehouse Lines must apply for a Mortgage Lender License and provide a $250,000 surety bond.
What are the requirements in order to get a Mortgage Broker License in Georgia?
In order to obtain a Mortgage Broker License, the following requirements must be submitted through the online National Mortgage Licensing System:
- A company application
- Separate applications for each resident/registered agent
- Contact and business information
- Disclosure statements
- A Control Person Attestation
- A credit report
- Individual background check requirements
- A $150,000 Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond issued by a surety company licensed in the state
- Note: Surety1 works with over a dozen “A” rated surety companies that are all licensed in Georgia.
- Fees: $400 registration fee, $250 investigation fee, $100 NMLS processing fee
More information about the specific licensing requirements and processes can be found on the NMLS website. Please note these requirements will slightly vary for Mortgage Lender Licenses. Visit our Georgia Mortgage Lender Surety Bond page for more information!
What are the requirements of the Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond?
Under Title 7, Chapter 1 of the Georgia State Code, the Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond ensures the compliance of the licensee with the Georgia Residential Mortgage Act and protects the public from any damages caused by noncompliance. The required bond amount is $150,000. The price for the bond, also known as the bond premium, is only a small fraction of the bond amount. The applicant should verify the bond amount with the obligee before applying for the bond to ensure the bond amount is correct. Since the Georgia Mortgage Broker Surety Bond is required to be continuous in nature, it must be maintained at all times as a condition of licensure.
How do I apply for this bond?
At surety1.com we make it easy to apply for your Georgia Mortgage Broker Bond. Our simple 3 step process is as follows:
- Complete our easy to navigate and secure online application.1
- One of our professional surety bond agents will contact you, usually within one business day, with a free, no obligation quote for the bond.
- Sign some necessary paperwork and remit the premium payment (all major credit cards accepted).
Once these steps have been completed, the bond will be filed electronically with the NMLS.
1-The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003. The agency maintains an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau.
Click here to visit our state-by-state guide to mortgage industry bonds .
How to Get Your Georgia Mortgage Broker Surety Bond
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.