The California Registration Service Bond is a type of surety bond that is required by the California Department of Motor Vehicles in order to obtain a license as a registration service. According to the California Vehicle Code, a “registration service” is a person engaged in the business of processing for the public applications for registration, transfer of ownership, registration renewals, conducting lien sales, and processing dismantler documents.
What are the license requirements to operate a Registration Service business in California?
In order to operate as a California Registration Service, the following application requirements must be met:
- An application for an Occupational License for Registration Service
- A personal history questionnaire for each owner
- A Property Use Verification form
- An Appointment of Director as Agent for Service of Process form
- Fingerprints/Background Check
- Copies of the following:
- Each owner’s identification card (driver’s licenses)
- The business license
- The fictitious name statement
- A signed lease/rental agreement
- Photographs of business location
- If a corporation, the Articles of Incorporation filed with the state
- Inspections/Verification of the following:
- Established Place of Business
- Business signs
- Property use
- Business Records
- A $150 application fee, a $1 Family Support Program fee, and a $70 fee for each branch location
- A $25,000 California Registration Service Bond issued by a surety company licensed in California
- Note: Surety1 represents over a dozen “A” rated markets that are licensed in California!
After this information is provided to the state and you receive your permit, a copy of the permit must be submitted to your DMV field office along with a Registration Service Questionnaire and an Employee Listing form. The above list of requirements and necessary documents, along with an application checklist, can be found on the CA DMV website.
What is the purpose of the surety bond?
The bond protects the customer by guaranteeing that the company, or bond principal (the person or entity that buys the bond), will register the vehicle and pay all taxes and fees required by law. It also ensures that the registration service does not cause any loss to the people of California because of the operation of the registration service. Any fraud, deceit, misrepresentation and unlawful omissions or acts are protected under this bond. Unlike standard insurance, this bond protects the clients of the registration service, rather than the registration service itself. If a client feels the registration services performed unethically or illegally, they can make a claim on the bond which the surety company (the company that issued the bond) will pay out if settled. The bond principal must then repay the surety company for any losses incurred.
How to Obtain a California Registration Service Bond?
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain this surety bond. Our simple, three step process is:
- Complete the easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
- Review the free, no obligation quote from one of Surety1’s professional surety bond agents, usually within one business day.
- Sign some paperwork and pay the bond premium
Once these steps have been completed, the California Registration Service Bond will be shipped to the bond principal (licensee) for the required original signature.
1 – The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003.