The California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Bond is a $10,000 type of surety bond required by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
The California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Bond is different from the California Motor Vehicle Dealer Surety Bond. Wholesale dealers buy cars at auction and sell those cars to other wholesale dealers or car dealers. This bond is for licensed wholesale dealers that sell less than 25 vehicles a year. The Wholesale-Only Dealer bond form is the same bond form as the Surety Bond of Motorcycle Dealer, Motorcycle Lessor-Retailer, and All-Terrain Vehicle Dealer. The required amount of this bond is $10,000.
Those who want to get a wholesale license (the license that allows you to sell to other dealers and wholesalers) need to have a California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Surety Bond on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Steps to Obtain a Wholesale Dealers License
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid California driver’s license
- Have a business location in California
- Obtain a resale permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA)
- Purchase a wholesale auto dealer bond
- Complete a DMV-approved dealer education program
- Pass the DMV’s used dealer test
- Submit a completed application to the DMV
Once you have met all of the requirements, you can submit your application to the DMV. The application fee is $100. You will also need to pay a fee for the dealer education program and the used dealer test. If your application is approved, you will be issued a wholesale auto dealer license. The license is valid for two years and must be renewed every two years.
Here are the steps in more detail:
- Learn the requirements. You can visit the California DMV website to learn about what you need to apply for and obtain a valid wholesale auto dealer license in the state.
- Apply for a California State Driver’s License. If you don’t already have a valid California driver’s license, you will need to apply for one. You can do this online or at any DMV office.
- Secure a Business Location and Name. You will need to have a physical business location in California. This can be a leased or owned space. You will also need to choose a business name and register it with the California Secretary of State.
- Apply for a Resale Permit. You can apply for a resale permit online or at any CDTFA office.
- Obtain an California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Bond. The bond amount is $10,000.
- Complete the Dealer Education Program. You can complete the dealer education program online or in person. Click Here for a List of Education Providers.
- Take and Pass the Used Dealer Test. You can take the used dealer test at any DMV office. The test fee is $16.
- Collect Documents and Complete All Necessary Forms. You will need to collect a number of documents and complete all necessary forms in order to submit your application to the DMV. You can find a list of the required documents and forms on the DMV website.
- Pay Your Fees. The application fee for a wholesale auto dealer license is $100. You will also need to pay a fee for the dealer education program and the used dealer test.
- Schedule an Inspection. Once you have submitted your application and paid all of the required fees, you will need to schedule an inspection of your business location. The inspection will be conducted by a DMV investigator.
How to obtain a California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Bond
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain this surety bond. Our simple, three step process is:
- Complete the easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
- Review the free, no obligation quote from one of Surety1’s professional surety bond agents, usually within one business day.
- Sign some paperwork and pay the bond premium
Once these steps have been completed, the California Motor Vehicle Wholesale Dealer Bond will be shipped to the bond applicant.
1 -The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier provider of surety bonds for the construction industry, nationwide, since 2003.