The California Legal Document Assistant Bond is a type of surety bond required by the State of California in order to register as an LDA. The bond amount is set at $25,000. This bond is not insurance. A surety bond is different from insurance in that it is a guarantee that the LDA will fulfill their obligations, not a way to pay for damages.
A legal document assistant (LDA) is someone who provides any self-help service to persons who are representing themselves in a legal matter, for compensation. LDAs can help with tasks such as preparing legal documents, filing paperwork, and serving court documents. Registration as a Legal Document Assistant is required in each county where services are performed. It is important to obtain a surety bond in order to protect the public from financial harm caused by a legal document assistant who fails to follow the law or professional standards. Registration applies to an individual not a business. Should there be more than one individual in a business, each person must register.
Legal Document Assistant Registration requirements:
- Possess a valid government issued picture identification
- Provide documentation that the educational requirements of Legal Document Assistant has been met
- Remit a $175 fee (for each county of registration)
- A California Legal Document Assistant (LDA) Bond of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) must accompany an application for a certificate of registration
Registration as a Legal Document Assistant is required in each county where services are performed. You can learn more about becoming an LDA on the CALDA website: <https://calda.org/>
How to Obtain a California Legal Document Assistant (LDA) Surety Bond?
At Surety1.com we make it easy to obtain this surety bond. Our simple, three step process is:
- Complete the easy to navigate and secure online application. 1
- Review the free, no obligation quote from one of Surety1’s professional surety bond agents, usually within one business day.
- Sign some paperwork and pay the bond premium
Once these steps have been completed, the California Legal Document Assistant Bond will be shipped to the bond principal (LDA).
1-The name of the applicant on the surety bond application must match exactly the full legal business name of applicant for the license.
Surety1.com is a service of AssuredPartners one of the largest and fastest growing insurance agencies in the nation. Representing over a dozen surety bond companies, Surety1.com is the premier online provider of surety bonds nationwide since 2003 and maintains an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.