The California Bond of Insurance Broker is required by the California Department of Insurance for any entity wishing to to operate as a Personal Lines Broker-Agent (also known as an Insurance Broker).
The Department of Insurance defines an insurance broker as, “a person who, for compensation and on behalf of another person, transacts insurance other than commercial lines and life with, but not on behalf of, an insurer.”
What are the requirements to be an Insurance Broker in California?
Any applicant, whether resident or non-resident, individual or business entity, must first meet the following qualifications:
- Have a minimum of 20 hours of approved prelicensing study. A new California resident applicant holding any of the following designations: Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC) or Associate in Risk Management (ARM) is exempt from the 20 hours of prelicensing education.
- Have 12 hours of approved prelicensing study on ethics and the California Insurance Code. Where an applicant seeks both the Broker-Agent license and the Life license, the applicant shall only be required to complete one 12 hour course on ethics and the California Insurance Code.
- Pursuant to Section 1749.31 of the California Insurance Code the personal lines broker-agent continuing education requirement is 24 hours during each two-year license period, including at least 3 hours of ethics training, before their license may be renewed.
- Any person who is 70 years of age or older and who has been licensed for 30 continuous years as a licensee in good standing in this state, may be exempt from the continuing education requirement.
The exemption from the continuing education requirement for licensees 70 years of age and in good standing for 30 continuous years does not apply to those individuals licensed for the first time on or after January 1, 2010. (Section 1749.3 (e)).
While the specific application requirements will vary whether the applicant is a resident or non-resident and whether they are an individual or a business entity, the following are general application requirements:
- Individuals must pass a Personal Lines-Broker License Examination and submit a license application online
- Business entities must file the business entity application and must obtain individual licenses for each “natural person” listed on the business entity application
- All applicants must remit a $170 licensing fee
- Complete any applicable fingerprinting requirements
- All applicants must file a $10,000 California Bond of Insurance Broker with the CA Department of Insurance
- Note: this bond does not act as insurance or a license. The bond is in place to protect the public from willful, malicious, or wrongful conduct.
For the full list of requirements and forms to obtain a license, please visit the CA Department of Insurance website.
Where can I get a California Bond of Insurance Broker?
Surety1 can issue this bond right away. All we need is a completed online application! This application is free and only takes a few minutes to fill out. Within one business day of your submission, one of our licensed agents will contact you with a no-obligation quote for the price to obtain the bond (the “premium”). Once any necessary paperwork is signed and the payment is remitted, we will ship your California Bond of Insurance Broker via USPS Priority Mail, with overnight shipping options also available!
Suerty1, an AssuredPartners agency has been writing bonds in California since 2003. We work with over a dozen “A” rated surety markets to ensure you get the lowest quote possible for you bond. We’re licensed in all 50 states and maintain an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau for our quick and reliable service.
How to Get Your California Bond of Insurance Broker
- Complete an online application. It’s free and no-obligation.
- One of our surety experts will contact you with a firm quote and an agreement to sign.
- Provide payment and your signed agreement, and then you will receive your Surety Bond!
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-654-2327.
Surety1 was founded in 2003 and helps thousands of clients find the best prices on their surety bonds. We take pride in our work so that we can give you great service. Learn more about Surety1.